Eliminating the Risk of Fire in your Home

Eliminating the Risk of Fire in your HomeDid you know most fires are caused by electrical problems? Or that glass ornaments shouldn’t be left on window sills? There are simple things that you can do to try and eliminate the risk of fire.

Household Wiring

It is very easy to overlook the fire hazards in your home and this is especially the case if you see them all the time. One way to get around this would be to do a manual inspection of the household wiring around your home.

You may also want to have a registered electrician check the installation of the electrics throughout your home as well, so that you can feel completely confident in your own home.

If you have exposed electrical units then it may even be worth you looking into access panels. When you buy access panels, you can easily protect your home from any hanging or trailing wires.

Electrical Plug Sources

A lot of fires are also caused by electrical plug sources. When you buy an adapter, or even a plug extension, you need to make sure that you buy it from a reputable source and this will help you to avoid dangerous electrical parts.

If you overload the electrical socket then this can put you at risk. This is especially the case if you have an extension coming from the socket, or if the total amps exceed the limit of the space.

If adapters get broken or damaged, it’s time to replace them.


You probably won’t think twice about placing any ornaments or glass vases on the windowsill, but this can be a fire risk if your window traps a lot of sun.

Glass can act as a magnifying glass on a sunny day and this is especially the case if the rays from the sun become focused on a part of the carpet. This may sound far fetched, but it happens lots more than you’d think and it can cause a world of problems.

Toaster Crumbs

Fires can also happen in the kitchen. If your toaster has a build-up of crumbs then this can easily cause a lot of smoke to gather in the home and it can also set off the smoke alarm as well. This may be an annoying happening every time you make breakfast, but take heed and clean out your toaster as it can also cause a kitchen fire.

Deep Fat Fryer

If you put your oil in a pan on the hob then this can pose a serious risk because hot oil is incredibly dangerous. If it overheats then this can cause a fire, so it is worth you investing in a deep fat fryer that has a thermostat so that you can control the heat at all times.


Open fires and log burners are beautiful but always have chimneys swept and inspected by a chimney sweep before using. They can make sure the chimney is working safely, that the hearth meets safety requirements and you are not putting your family at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning or fire.

Keep safe too by having a fire blanket, extinguisher and a fire plan.

Collaborative post, Photo by Pavan Trikutam on Unsplash

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

No Comments

Leave a Reply